Sayana® Press is 99% effective in preventing pregnancy if used according to the product recommendations of every 13 weeks (+/-7 days).
It is suitable for women eligible for depot contraception who were willing and able to self-inject.
- Self-administration was easy and convenient for women.
- The majority of women correctly performed the self-injection correctly.
- Self-injections were given in a timely manner.
There are a few contraindications to be aware of with Sayana® Press. It is contra-indicated:
- In women with a known hypersensitivity to DMPA or any of its excipients.
- If pregnancy is known or suspected.
- In women with known or suspected malignancy of the breast or genital organs.
- In women with undiagnosed vaginal bleeding.
- In women with severe hepatic impairment.
- In women with metabolic bone disease.
- In women with active thromboembolic disease and in patients with current or past history of cerebrovascular disease.
Patients site – with ways of administering
Vitamin B12 injections for post bariatric surgery patients – consider teaching appropriate patients to self-administer and ensure frequency is not more than 12 weekly. Review whether oral supplementation would be appropriate.